RE: Abuse of the W3 Logo

At 05:18 PM 9/28/1999 , B. Szyszka wrote:
>Well the W3C's button is their property, isn't it? I think they have a
>right to defend the use of that property, although legal action would
>be doubtful (well with what they charge for membership, <g>, they
>should have enough money to handle the legal fees). Using the button
>in that kind of dishonest way degenerates its value too.

The W3C isn't likely to use membership fees to fund lawsuits against
people with invalid code, and as the CEO of a Consortium member
organization, I'd object strongly to any funds being used in such
a way.

Unlike the other W3C logos, there doesn't seem to be an explicit
legal policy spelled out for use of the validator's "valid html"
logo.  This may in fact be the best route to go, though, because
formalizing things may lead to a conclusion that it's not a good
idea after all to offer a valid HTML logo.

Catch the Web Accessibility Meme!                   http://aware.hwg.org/
Seeking the Best Internet Dog of 1999!     http://www.virtualdogshow.com/