Re: A validator for HTTP?

On 20.10.99 at 14:17, Dave Yost <Dave@Yost.com> wrote:

>It would be nice to have a validator that will check the returned status
>from an http server.  For example, does page xyz return status 301? In
>other words, a way to basically get all available metainformation about a
>page, image, etc., like the MIME type, mod time, etc.

Well except for reporting error status codes, the validator is currently a
bit low on information about the HTTP status code returned, but it does
provide other information. Exactly what is it you want to know that the
validator does not provide?

Would you simply like a "verbose" option that shows more of the same info
or do you want a full fledged "meta information" option that digs up
everything there is to know about a URI?

Both are doable with a not unreasonable amount of work to implement (except
status codes; they are a bit worse at the moment), but I'm not really
convinced about it's general utility. Perhaps if you could elaborate a bit?

BTW, Gerald (the guy who should get free beer and pizza whenever the
Validator saves your ass (I owe him a truckload by now! ;D) aka. the
developer and maintainer of the Validator) has a "Metadata" item on the
official TODO list for the service. However, I think that is more geared
towards the contents of any META elements and PICS labels and stuff.