Re: HTML Validator Bug

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 16:55:18 -0400 (EDT), "Nathan Miller"
(webpage@depere.k12.wi.us) wrote:

[ long lines repaired ]

> I am writing to inform you of a bug with the validator.

It's not a bug.

> When validating a page with a URI containing and ampersand (for cgi
> purposes), the validator returns an error saying that (the variable
> name following the ampersand) is not a valid entity.

> The validator should not look for entities in (URLs, URIs, URNs,
> etc.) because (to the best of my knowledge) the ampersand is not used
> to indicate an entity when dealing with URIs. (% is used).

You're correct that the ampersand has no meaning in URIs.  However, it
has meaning in HTML, and the URIs are being given in an HTML document.
If you want an ampersand in an HTML document, it must be escaped as
&.  See previous messages on this list:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/1999OctDec/0022.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/1999OctDec/0015.html

The latter refers to earlier posts.