Re: Difference between http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ and http://www.css-validator.org/ css validators?

2014-10-28 13:32, Martin Šošić wrote:

> I tried validating my css using both validators and they give different
> results! http://www.css-validator.org/returns much more errors (245 in
> my case) than http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ (which returned 24
> errors).
> What is the difference between these to? Aren't they both under w3c?

The css-validator.org site appears to be fake, probably using some old
copy of the W3C CSS Validator code. Note the Facebook stuff and the
oddly formatted bulk of text on the page, linking to a mobile checker,
which seems to be another fake, with some advertising that is probably
the whole point in having these fake sites.

> Examples of errors not returned by css-validator but not by jigsaw:

I think you meant to write “errors returned”, without the word “not”.

>   * ".kill-flicker: Property backface-visibility doesn't exist : hidden
>     hidden" Line no: "5"
>   * ": Unknown pseudo-element or pseudo-class ::-moz-focus-inner
>     [-moz-focus-inner]" Line no: "225"

If the W3C CSS Validator has been modified to recognize the property
backface-visibility, it is natural that it differs from a fake copy of
the older code base. For similar reasons, vendor extensions like
::-moz-focus-inner are handled differently.

As an aside, it puzzles me why backface-visibility is recognized, since
it is defined only in a Working Draft (which is almost a year old now,
and according to the information about implementation status in the
Editor’s draft http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-transforms/ it is still
rather incompletely implemented in browsers).

Yucca