Re: Floats need explicit width??

Paul McKeown (Tiscali) wrote:

> Olivier, Douglas,
>
> I am pleased to see that you agree with my observation of what is
> required by the specifications.  However, I cannot agree with your wish
> that the warning should remain.  The issue is quite simple.  The
> specification requires an explicit width for CSS 2.0; the specification
> does not require an explicit width for CSS 2.1.

I can see (and sympathise with) both points of view.
Possibly the best solution is a compromise : in the
good old days of VMS, one had not only errors and warnings,
but also severe errors and informational messages.
All parties might perhaps be satisfied if the validator
were to issue an informational message when a width
specifier is not provided for a floated element and
the CSS reference specification is given as CSS 2.1

Philip TAYLOR