Re: Confusing/Wrong Statement when no Style Sheet is found

Paul A. Bauer wrote:

> if one tries to validate a web site without CSS, the W3C CSS Validator
> says: "Congratulations! No Error found." instead of e.g. "Attention,
> there is no CSS to be validated".

I agree that it is rather confusing. I would suggest the response "No CSS
style sheet to be checked." ("CSS" is the name of a language.) The word
"Congratulations" is too naive even when there is a stylesheet that has been
checked.

> And even more confusing in the next
> line it states: "This document validates as CSS level 2.1 !"

Quite confusing and even wrong. If there were an _empty_ style sheet, as in
misleading.

> Only at the end of the validation page (which lays outside the
> viewport, you have to scroll down to see it) it says: "No style sheet
> found"

If it is technically difficult to reorder the data in the response, then
removing all the irrelevant and even harmful notes about "Valid CSS!" icons
would help, since the essential information would appear in the viewport,
under any normal browsing conditions.

After all, all that the "W3C CSS Validator" _needs_ to say, and _should_
say, is that it detected no error in any stylesheet included in or
associated with the document that was submitted. Anything you add to that
just makes the message less clear, perhaps _much_ less clear. But if you
cannot _first_ say that you didn't actually check anything, then you should
of course say it after the message that says that no errors were detected.

Yucca