Re: Report page in validation service is not well-formed XML when the validation was successful

Svensson, Lars wrote:

> The validation results page in the css-validator returns not
> well-formed XML when the validation was successful.

Do you really mean it is not well-formed (as opposite to not being
valid)?

Anyway, there is definitively a markup error in the results page. For
example, if I test using the direct input feature with a simple correct
style sheet like
body { font-size: 100%; }
I get a response that says "No Error Found", but the response itself
contains a markup error. This can be seen by copying the HTML source
form of the results page and submitting it to the W3C Markup Validator,
which then says

"Failed validation, 14 Errors"

The first error is

 Line 33, Column 19: end tag for element "a" which is not open.

I have no idea of why the report contains the spurious line 33,
containing just an unmatched "</a>" tag.

I have an idea about the next cluster of errors, since line 34 says:

This document validates as <a href=http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/>CSS level
2.1</a> !

The problem is lack of quotation marks around the href attribute value.
This tends to confuse a validator thoroughly, for reasons explained in
The Saga of Slashed Validators, see
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/qattr.html

Yucca