Re: CSS Validator Warning Bug: capitalization of color keywords

On Mar 1, 2007, at 23:31 , olivier Thereaux wrote:
>> color: Black;
>> and the validator warns that:
>> "Although color names are case-insensitive, it is recommended to
>> use the mixed capitalization, to make the names more legible: Black".
>> Therefore the warning is unnecessary.

> I think I don't actually agree with the suggestion given by the
> warning message. Especially when looking at the Colors section of
> CSS21 [1] I don't see any suggestion to use mixed case for
> legibility. The only mention of case in the spec, AFAIK, is that
> most of CSS is case-insensitive. [2]

I think what happened was:
* someone thought that mixed case was more legible, added the warning
* someone else looked at spec and though "actually, the spec shows
mostly lowercase color keywords, maybe the warning should be changed"
and changed the trigger of the warning but not the text.

All considered, I think there is no reason to keep this warning. The
spec says that CSS is lowercase, and although it is perhaps likely
that some implementations will only know lowercase color keywords
(because that's how the spec shows them) I doubt it. If anyone has
proof of it, I'm interested.

In the meantime I commented out all code related to this warning.
It's in CVS now, and we'll update the production validator instance
within the next few days.

Thanks.
--
olivier