Re: Question about the CSS-Validator

On Jul 4, 2007, at 15:55 , info wrote:
> Validating my CSS-Stylesheet (www.edvdidaktik.de) I got these faughts:
[...]
> 278 body Die Eigenschaft scrollbar-shadow-color existiert nicht :
> #c0c0c0
> "
> Why is his wrong? Fact is it, that the scrollbar is colored as I
> like it
> when I use exactly these styles.

The point of validation is to check whether "this is (or this is not)
done according to the standard". And in turn, the standard has been
created to ensure interoperability, technologies that will work
across platforms.

scrollbar-3dlight-color and friends are CSS properties that are
proprietary to a single browser. They are non standard CSS, won't
work in most CSS-aware tools, and therefore, are not accepted by the
validator. You can of course keep using these properties, but then
you are not using standard CSS.

> Then I got warnings about the same color for background and
> foreground,
> which I took just because I like it in this way.

Then keep it this way! The warnings are only here to tell you "This
could be wrong, are you sure this is really what you want to do?"

regards,
--
olivier