Re: Incorrect CSS validation

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Kevin Kennedy wrote:

> The validator reports 21 identical warnings of the following nature:
> -----------------------
> Although color names are case-insensitive, it is recommended to use the
> mixed capitalization, to make the names more legible: Black
> ------------------------
> This it totally incorrect.

It would be wrong advice in any case, and in this case you seem to have
used the spelling it recommends. It's wrong because
a) case of letters in color names is a non-issue and should not be
    discussed by a checker (especially once that calls itself a
    "validator")
b) lower case is more common and more appropriate, since it corresponds
    to the normal spelling of color names in English
c) it is _so_ blatantly false to claim that "Black" is more legible
    than "black" (and "legible" isn't really the word at all - "readable"
    would be, but normal words are more readable in lowercase).

> It would appear that the CSS validator parser is
> somehow folding all the text to lower-case, therefore generating this
> apparent fault.

That's possible.

The "W3C CSS Validator" seems to be in an unstable state. A little ago, it
was not reachable at all, then it responded by "Internal error" to any
request, and now I get two different results for you style sheet (both
with the phoney warnings, but one with some additional "This property
applies to block-level elements." messages, too.