Re: Bug Report: font-size-adjust

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, olivier Thereaux wrote:

> The CSS working group considers that CSS2.1 includes errata for CSS2, and as
> such, stylesheets that are invalid when checking against 2.1 are invalid
> CSS2.

I almost refrained from commenting on the announcement, which referred to
CSS 2.1, which itself (the CSS 2.1 draft) says that it is improper to cite
it as other than "work in progress". However, this notice is far too
confused and confusing.

The so-called "errata for CSS2" is a very mixed collection of notes
ranging from minor typo fixes to vague comments saying that something
should perhaps be done to something. It's not even close to a draft
surrogate for a _specification_.

Saying that a group "considers" that their draft "includes errata for
CSS2" is false as a descriptive statement (it does not, include the
errata, of course) and absurd as a prescriptive or interpretional
statement, especially it is means that the CSS 2.1 draft has the power of
changing the content of the CSS 2.0 specification.

> My own opinion on the matter notwithstanding, I suggest you talk to
> www-style if you disagree with that stance.

Shouldn't the "CSS Validator" be based on some objective, published,
stable criteria, or at least be clearly announced as a lint-type heuristic
checker (which contains some rigorousness as well)? I don't think that
various individuals' discussions in an informal open mailing list are the
way to solve fundamental unstability and subjectivity.