Re: Error at online validator

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Michal Dlouhý wrote:

> I want to say you about a error on your online CSS validator.

So it seems.

> If type of style sheet set to CSS 3 and checking attribut font for
> example as this
> body {font-family: "Palitino Linotype", cursive;}
> validator check this as error *Too many values or values are not
> recognized *, but I thing that this is valid CSS rule.

It complies with CSS recommendations, but maybe not with someone's idea of
CSS 3, which is a collection of various drafts (which probably themselves
say that it is not appropriate to cite them as other than "work in
progresss").

However, I think the problem is that the "validator" checks font names
against some list. This is _very_ odd. Admittedly it often helps you to
detect typing errors, but as a matter of conformance to specifications,
there is no reason why you could not design a font named "Palitino
Linotype" and use it in CSS. (It might raise a trademark issue, but
that's external to CSS.)

Most probably you meant "Palatino Linotype", and then it's easy for you to
fix your error. The programming error in the "validator" might be more
difficult, since people who made it may regard it as a useful feature. :-(