Re: arial isn't allowed?

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, ReVaDeBe wrote:

> Hello W3.org,

You are posting to a public discussion list hosted by the W3C.
Some people here work for the W3C, some don't.

> when I try to validate my CSS-file, the validator
> says " font-family : arial, sans-serif;" isn't good CSS.
> "It contains too many (unknown) values".

Please post the URL so that we can check what really happens.
I suspect the quotation of the error or warning message isn't accurate,
but even if it is, it isn't sufficient for an analysis.

> But when I delete 'arial, ' it is OK.

That sounds strange indeed.

> So the 'unknown value' is arial, but this is a standard font...

It's not a standard font in any way relevant to the CSS specification or
the CSS "validator". You can use any name (satisfying certain syntactic
criteria) wherever CSS allows a font name, whether the universe contains a
font with that name or not.