Re: CSS validator homepage - "submission"

Olivier Thereaux writes:

> On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 08:24 America/Montreal, Bert Bos wrote:

> > 2) The word "standalone" should be a link to something, to a download
> > page, probably.
>
> "Standalone" here has nothing to do with downloading the validator, but
> means that standalone CSS stylesheets (as opposed to embedded) can be
> validated. That's the same wording as the current homepage, by the way.
> However, since we're working on the homepage, better wording is welcome.

Ah, OK. I misread it as "service [...] or standalone," but it seems I
read too quickly.

> But the point of this new homepage is to improve the usability of the
> service by allowing people to validate their CSS without having to
> navigate too much.

I don't know if that is really easier. Now the page has three forms
instead of one and it has a scroll bar, because the whole page doesn't
fit on one screen.

But best usability is if people don't have to go to this page at all,
but can validate by pressing a button in their editor or browser. A
real "Web Service" in other words. Some programs already do that: they
contact the validator without ever passing through the forms page.

(Maybe the URL syntax and the HTML output should be documented, so
that implementers of such integration don't have to reverse-engineer
the service.)

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM