Re: CSS validator should validate styling of SVG+CSS and XML+CSS documents

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 15:42, Tantek Celik wrote:

> On 5/31/02 1:07 PM, "Philippe Le Hegaret" <plh@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 22:14, you wrote:
> >> Two things I noticed:
> >>
> >>   1. The validator says it accepts "HTML with CSS or CSS only". Why not SVG
> >> or arbitrary XML for that matter?  I suppose I am agreeing with previous
> >> posts.[1][2]
> >
> > I don't disagree with them either, but SVG CSS properties are not
> > supported for the moment.
>
> any idea when we might see SVG CSS properties and values added?

I am not aware of any plan to do so for the moment.

> > Regarding generic XML, how would recognize CSS information in a generic
> > XML file?
>
> 1. xml-stylesheet PI

It does but only for XHTML documents.

> 2. SVG, MathML and XHTML all support a "style" attribute (in addition to
> <link> and <style> elements.)  Presumably any arbitrary XML file can contain
> SVG, MathML and/or XHTML elements through the use of namespaces etc.

As soon as SVG and MathML will be supported by the CSS Validator (ie the
CSS properties associated with these languages), it will be very easy to
add them. For the moment, the style in the XHTML namespace is the only
one supported [1].

Philippe

[1]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/css-validator/org/w3c/css/css/XMLStyleSheetHandler.java?rev=1.2&content-type=text/plain