Re: CSS validator stricter than XML validator

* Claudio Nieder wrote:
>I'm not on the list, I want just report an oddity I've noticed when
>validating http://info82.ch/. validator.w3.org tells me:
>
> Congratulations, this document validates as XHTML 1.0 Strict!
>
>but when I then click on the link to check CSS too I get
>
>Target: http://info82.ch/
>Please, validate your XML document first!
>Line 33
>Column 12
>An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0xfc)
>was found in the element content of the document.

Both validators are right here. Your Server sends

  E:\CPAN\CSS\DOM>http-head http://info82.ch/
  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 03:27:58 GMT
  Server: Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.7.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6
  Last-Modified: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:54:34 GMT
  ETag: "fe84-2357-3adec400"
  Accept-Ranges: bytes

The HTML Validator treats the document as compatible HTML document, the
CSS Validator as XML document. You define

                                            charset=iso-8859-1" />

in the document, the literal [éä...] are recognized as ISO-8859-1
characters. In XML document, the encoding must be declared in the XML
declaration, your document doesn't have an (or 'a'?) XML declaration, so
the document is treated as UTF-8-encoded and the octets for the
mentioned 8-Bit-characters in ISO-8859-1 aren't valid UTF-8 sequences.

I'd say it's a bug in the CSS Validator anyway, if it's text/html, treat
it as text/html.