Re: Server Side Magic.

At 11:17  23/07/01 +0900, Gerhard Fasol wrote:
>Tom, I agree with what you are saying... There is a very simple test: look
>at the website with an imode phone ...

Trying to get the average web site to work on the current small-screen
i-mode or WAP phone is probably too difficult a task. My suggestion is to
aim for a quarter-VGA screen on a typical PDA device, such as an MS-Pocket PC.

While messing around with an Internet TV in a hotel recently I found that
I-mode pages worked reasonably well and the effective TV screen size is
about the same as one-quarter VGA
<http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/eal/index.html#MovieLink>. The European
Interactive TV format recently adopted by Australia appears a bit
overblown, but would offer the possibility of using the same web pages for
hand held devices and iTV.

What the mobile industry needs are some reasons for customers to buy new
products and services. There is no point in promoting technologies which
are already proven failures, such as WAP and the videophone. In Sydney last
week I proposed kiddie-groupware as the mobile killer application
<http://www.tomw.net.au/media/20010719.html>. If young people are using SMS
for organising social events, then why not give them a more sophisticated
web based applications to do it?

Tom Worthington FACS tom.worthington@tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd ABN: 17 088 714 309
http://www.tomw.net.au PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
Visiting Fellow, Computer Science, Australian National University
Publications Director & Past President, Australian Computer Society
YXML? 31 July, Sydney: http://www.tomw.net.au/2000/yxml.html