RE: I-D ACTION:draft-zigmond-tv-url-03.txt

Thanks for taking the time to review this draft.  It's nice to be generating
some discussion again.

I wanted to clarify a few things:

> this draft should not have been published until these issues
> have been resolved.

I guess it's difficult to please everybody.  I had hesitated to submit the
current document as an Internet-Draft until I had more input, but I was
encouraged on this list (and in private emails) to go ahead precisely to
encourage more input.  However, I do think it's important to note that
Internet-Drafts are "published" only in a very limited sense: they expire
after six months and imply no endorsement whatsoever by the IETF.

> The removal of channel numbers is unjustified, it is not obsolete.

Perhaps the draft is unclear on this point, but it's not the "channel
numbers" per se that are obsolete.  Rather, numerous people requested that
we remove channel numbers from the scheme because they were not uniform
internationally (or even nationally, in some places).  As Craig has said,
channel 3 in one place is almost certainly different than channel 3 some
place else; in fact, even in one geography, the numbers are not consistent
between terrestrial broadcast, satellite, and cable, or between different
providers of cable and satellite services.  We mention them in the draft
because they are used occasionally in "tv:" URIs today, but the consensus
appears to be that this should not continue.  (Harald has probably been the
most eloquent in making the case against them, so perhaps he can chime in.)

> This is supposed to be an international standard, not a US standard.

We certainly agree on this point, but I'm not sure if it speaks for or
against including channel numbers.  In general, we've tried to exclude
broadcast identifiers that can't be made world unique precisely because a
page authored here in America may be rendered in the UK.  Channel numbers
certainly fail on this count.

	Dan

Dan Zigmond
Senior Manager, Interactive Television Technologies
WebTV Networks, Inc.
djz@corp.webtv.net