RE: Where are we?

Just a small point: In ISO-8601, no time zone at all actually means local
time, which may sometimes be useful to express.  The shorthand for UTC is
the character "Z" in that standard.  So Dean's compacted example of
"tv:east.pbs.org#19991011T18/19991011T1830" is actually 18:00 to 18:30 local
time, while "tv:east.pbs.org#19991011T18Z/19991011T1830Z" would be 18:00 to
18:30 UTC.

I agree that it's best to use time zones, but I think it's a mistake to
prohibit local times altogether.  We actually made this mistake in the
EIA-746 standard in the US and left ourselves with no way to representing
local time, and we regret it now.  I think one character for UTC is a small
price to pay to keep this option open.

	Dan

Dan Zigmond
Senior Manager, Broadcast Applications