RE: Where are we?

At 08:10 12.10.99 -0700, dean blackketter wrote:

>>- dropping the date is unwise in the extreme unless you want the syntax to
>>   mean "every day" - which is an extension I would very much like to avoid.
>>   see below.
>
>Yes.  Actually, ISO-8601 doesn't have a date-dropped form, but our
>implementation does as an extension.  A dropped date indicates the next
>matching time in the next 24 hours.  It's a compact form that's useful for
>referring to a program that's on in same evening.

that's a Good Thing for the user interface, but can be surprising if it's
used as an internal format (which is where I want URLs to be kept for the
most part).
Things can become funny if (for instance) the user punches that particular
date, the VCR stores this as its internal format, and then unplugs the VCR
for a week or so.

If the VCR doesn't remember how long ago this was punched, it can get very
confused - and if it keeps track of that, why not add it into the URL?

Otherwise, this seems well thought through. Fun!

                    Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no