Re: Origin vs Authority; use of HTTPS (draft-nottingham-site-meta-01)

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
> Adobe found the security case compelling enough to break backwards
> compatibility in their crossdomain.xml policy file system to enforce
> this requirement.  Most serious Web sites opt-in to requiring an
> explicit Content-Type.

By the way, here's the chart of the various security protections Adobe
added to crossdomain.xml and which version they first appeared in:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/fplayer9-10_security.html

There is another one I forgot:

You need to restrict the scope of a host-meta file to a specific IP
address.  For example, if suppose you retrieve
http://example.com/host-meta from 123.123.123.123.  Now, you shouldn't
apply the information you get from that host-meta file to content
retrieved from 34.34.34.34.  You need to fetch another host-meta file
from that IP address.  If you don't do that, the host-meta file will
be vulnerable to DNS Rebinding.  For an explanation of how this caused
problems for crossdomain.xml, see:

http://www.adambarth.com/papers/2007/jackson-barth-bortz-shao-boneh.pdf

Sadly, this makes life much more complicated for implementers.  (Maybe
now you begin to see why this draft scares me.)

Adam