RE: Frames

Server-side scripting to support bookmarked framesets would seem to be
beneficial absent other alternatives. However, it does load the entire
frameset which nullifies some of the benefits already discussed. It also
implies a new server component/CGI script to build these "custom-populated"
framesets.

What about a client-side URL syntax that would define the correct population
of the frameset? The browser knows the contents of each frame at the time
the bookmark request is made. It could create a URL that defines an
"overlay" set of pages that should be used to (re-)populate the frameset
when delivered from the server. I'm thinking of something like:

http://foo.com/frameset.html##title_page.html#main_page.html

The browser, when requested to load this URL, would strip off everything
following '##', request http://foo.com/frameset.html and then use a
(pre-defined) ordered traversal of the frameset to decide which frame gets
title_page.html and which page gets main_page.html.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

-J