RE: Frames

Ari

I believe it would be possible to accomplish without frames, everything I am
doing now within frames. However, it wouldn't be easy (see Below) and
wouldn't be worth the effort unless I had a specific requirement to do so.
The web applications we develop are not targeted for public sites. They are
internal IT  assets. As such, we can list reasonable deployment requirements
such as a modern, frames-capable browser (IE4+, NS4.5+).

I know that many web developers shun frames. But apart from the concern of
limiting broad public exposure, I don't understand the resistance. And even
given that concern, it was my general impression (though not well informed
since I don't develop public sites) that frames capable browsers are now the
norm. If so, why the resistance to using frames?

-J

Below:
The level of functionality and amount of state stored in Java and JavaScript
components in "constant" frames in our applications is not trivial. In order
to maintain this state absent a constant frame I would have to:

1 - Serialize the state of all of the constant JavaScript components to a
cookie and then restore them on every subsequent page load. I would probably
end up developing some type of heirarchically organized structure on top of
the cookie due to the depth and breadth of the data saved.

2 - To avoid Java Applet lifetime issues, I would have to move the
intelligence out of applet instances and into static classes. Every page
would still have an applet but it would serve only as a proxy for the static
class-based service(s) in the VM. These services typically have a lifetime
that exceeds a single page load. For example, a network connection that
persists across page loads or a cache of retrieved values.

3 - I suspect that once I satisfied the basic state requirements for
JavaScript and Java components via (1) and (2), I would still have to spend
some effort tuning the timing characteristics of this relatively heavy page
unload/load cycle.