Re: Patent pending: Network-based classified information systems

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Dudley Mills wrote:

> Thanks for your comments. I think it would be greatly appreciated by
> subscribers to this list and it could save a lot of unneccessary further
> discussion if you would point to documents in the public domain which
> anticipate my invention (< 1997/Feb/21). If what I am proposing
> (structured classification, contact and geographic data in the BODY of
> web pages) is not novel then that may be the end of the matter.

Have you looked at IDML? (I didn't see it mentioned in your paper.)
It was proposed as early as Aug 1996, and seems to have a number of
things in common with your proposal. (There are probably many other
earlier precedents as well; this is just one that came to mind.)

The web site where IDML is documented seems to be offline right now,
but here's some information on it from the www-html list archives:

    Subject: Re: What are the problems with IDML?
    From: Doug Donohoe <donohoe@emerge.com>
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1996Aug/0187

--