Re: Patent pending: Network-based classified information systems

Daniel Hellerstein <danielh@MAILBOX.ECON.AG.GOV> wrote:

> I've been tangentially  following the disscussion of the
> "patent-pending" CCG schema for improving search performance.  Correct
> me if I am wrong, but this seems to be a proposal to patent an HTML
> element, and perhaps a way for servers & clients to use this element.
> It is NOT a patent (copyright?) for the code in an actual program.
>
> If so, my primary reaction is that this is a BAD thing.  Despite it's
> possible technical merits, and the fact that Mr. Mills seems like a
> reasonable fellow, the absence of prioprietary standards may be the
> most important reason for the success of the tcp/ip paradigm (with
> http and httml as subsets of this paradigm). To start (hasten?) the
> carving up of this common property would  jeoporadize this fundamental
> strength.
>
> Putting on my theoretical hat: the market is notoriously bad at
> providing "public goods", of which tcp/ip et al is a classic example
> (my use of this knowledge does not cost you anything). The genius
> behind the internet is that this public goods aspect was recognized,
> at the same time that sufficient incentives and structure were
> provided for coherent growth.
>
> That is: a  pure "let the market decide" approach probably has more
> costs than benefits.

Hi Daniel,

For the purposes of this discussion your impression is near enough.

I will not get far with my patent:
   "http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dudmills/CCGpatent.html"
if it is just my prioprietary standard. It must become a widely adopted
industry standard. I am in the industry's clutches not the other way
around. If I can provide technology that the industry likes and uses,
I think you will agree that it is reasonable that I be rewarded for my
efforts. I am sure that other contributers will tell you that it is not
easy to come up with technology that gets used.

Fortunately our industry, like lots of others, has a good standards
organisation in the W3C. If they did not exist or were not widely
respected, things might be somewhat messier than is presently the case.

Kind regards,
Dudley Mills,
30 Hutchison Crescent, Kambah, ACT 2902, Australia.
phone/fax: +61-2-6296-2639
email: dudmills@ozemail.com.au
web: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dudmills/