Re: Persistent connections: current implementations?

At 03:26 PM 1/28/97 -0500, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

>If anyone on this list knows about clients and/or servers which
>currently support persistent connections, could you let me know?
>Do they all use the "Connection: Keep-Alive" header to indicate
>that a connection should be held open?

We have done some performance analysis of HTTP/1.1 and how it can
outperform HTTP/1.0 in significant ways. One of the most important parts of
this is the use of persistent connections and pipelining. The result
imposes much less load on the Internet and the end-user also wins as he/she
gets the data sooner. If you are doing a HTTP/1.1 implementation then I
urge you to study our results!

We are still working on the data, but you can find the preliminary results at

	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/Pipeline.html

These tests are based on the libwww robot and the Jigsaw server - both
available from the W3C site.

>Do any clients or servers support the scheme where the server
>transmits all the inline images immediately after transmitting
>a document, even if the client doesn't ask?

This is probably not a good idea as this essentially will short circuit any
caches in between.

Thanks,

Henrik

World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-346