Re: Simple(?) comments question...

In article <828.9609180920@strachey.ecs.soton.ac.uk>,
S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk wrote:
> My impression is that this is not a correctly terminated comment, since
> it does not fit the strict definition given in RFC1866.  However,
> that's irrelevant, as all 3 browsers I've tried it on accept it.

I suppose these browsers simply consider "<!--" the comment starting
tag and "-->" the corresponding closing tag. My favourite way to
demonstrate that is the following *legal* comment:

  <!-- -- --> -->

That's two comments, one of which only contains " " and one contains
"> ".

Anyway, as far as I can see RFC 1866 does not discuss the "-" character
as last character before "--" explicitly. It only states (section 3.2.5)

   Each comment starts with `--' and includes
   all text up to and including the next occurrence of `--'.

I'm just confused if the sequence "---" _should_ be seen as "-"
followed by "--" or as "--" followed by "-".

Galactus

- --
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>