Re: Java and HTML and well known socket numbers

MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com> writes:
> The majority of the designs anticipated using Java are
> more properly handled when viewing Java as a new resource
> type instead of linked hard with http/html.

There is no "hard link" between Java and HTTP -- or for that
matter, between HTML and HTTP.  The whole point of a generic
transfer protocol like HTTP is to handle "new resource types"
without requiring a completely new protocol for every application.

It's true that currently HTTP is suboptimal for transferring large
numbers of small files (this is *not* a Java-specific problem), but
HTTP/1.1 will alleviate the problem by standardizing persistent
connections and pipelined requests.

> Most critically the concept of clients sending applets *to* a
> server to be executed on the server - this is outside the
> scope of an httpd.

So PUT and POST are outside the scope of HTTP?

Russell Holt <holtrf@destinyusa.com> writes:
> What about a java ORB?

Now *this* makes some sense.  For example, ILU will also be
switching their "string binding handles" to URL syntax.

Paul Burchard	<burchard@cs.princeton.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''