Re: URL schemes containing +, -, or .

On Wed, 15 May 1996, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> Regarding whois and whois++ I had a prototype of a whois++ protocol module
> in the libwww code some time ago. However, we quickly ran into the problem
> that whois and whois++ use the same port number (43 if I recall). As the
> protocols are made in such a way that it is impossible to distinguish the
> two from each other it is virtually impossible to automate the access.

That problem is fixed. Just before whois++ went to RFC status, we
allocated a separate port (63) for whois++, just because of this.  There
was no way to separate the two if run on the same port.

-Rickard

Rickard Schoultz <schoultz@sunet.se>
		 SUNET/NORDUnet/Ebone Operations Center
		 KTH, S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden