Re: POST forms & Netscape Navigator

Matthew Denner wrote:
> > ** Reply to note from Soren Vejrum <sve@europa.dannet.dk> Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:22:35 +0200
> > >
> > > Your problem is probably that your server reads data until the
> > > connection is closed/blocked by the client as a sign that the full
> > > request has been sent. However in never versions of Netscape they have
> > > implemented the "Keep-Alive" header for multiple requests over a single
> > > tcp/ip connection.
> > >
> > > Instead of reading until the end of the connection you should find the
> > > "Content-Length" header which tells you the size of the POST'ed data.
> > > Read this number of bytes after the 2 CRLF's.
>
> I do read the Content-Length header and I do wait for the correct number
> of
> bytes to come through.  However, the connection has no data present for
> collection and the machine simply sits there waiting.

There must be an error in your program, as this is definitely the
correct way to do it, and it works just fine. I have implemented 3
different http servers/gateways, and tested them with any Netscape
Navigator from 1.0 to 3.0b5 plus 10-15 other browsers without any
problems.

I know that this does not help you much, but unfortunately I cannot
include any code for comparison/demonstration as it is the property of
my employer.

Happy bug hunting.

PS: I have not implemented any HTTP/1.1 so I cannot tell if there is a
bug in Netscape's Keep-Alive implementation (I doubt it), but Netscape
Navigator 2.0/3.0 definitely keeps the connection open.