Re: REMOTE_USER

Rick Silterra wrote:

> I now want to some scripts that are used by this directory to have
> access to the REMOTE_USER variable.
> So, I tried mapping .../directory_tools/xxx.pl/xxx/* to
> /cgi-bin/xxx.pl/* , and applying the same authentication to this
> that was applied to the /directory/ in the first place;
> 1) This Filemapping does not seem to invoke authentication,
> as a  result of this:
> 2) I never seem to be able to get access to REMOTE_USER from a script.
> 3)When exactly is REMOTE_USER made available to a script?
> 4)Anytime after authentication, when contacting this server?
> 5)Only for subsets of the URL for which it was invoked?
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Rick Silterra rs@cci.com

I assume you address your cgi-bin script with POST method. If so
you must make authentication valid not only for GET but also for
POST method, e. g.

<LIMIT GET POST>
           ^^^^
AuthUserFile ....
AuthGroupFile ...
AuthName ByPassword
AuthType Basic

<LIMIT GET POST>
require group user-group
or
require valid-user your-user
</LIMIT>

Try out http://colos-www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~ries/krauss/cgi-tester.html
and type "ries" as username and "ries" as password.

Regards Friedhelm
--
Friedhelm ries@prz.tu-berlin.de http://colos-www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~ries/