Re: Consideration in naming products (was: Re: Apache Server Announcement)

From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 95 9:29:56 MDT
To: davis@dri.cornell.edu
Cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org

Speaking for myself, and not necessarily the Apache group or LANL..

>    The Apache server is free, nobody's exploiting the name for profit, at
>    the expense of the Apache people.
>
> You may not be making profit in money, but you are making "profit" in
> reputation.  You must have percieved *some* advantage or favorable
> connotation in using the name, else why pick it?  Surely you don't
> your projects at LANL by picking a word at random from the dictionary.

If you read the Apache FAQ, you'll see why the name was picked.

LANL projects are named after pseudo-random acronyms, at least
that's the way I see it.

>    I'm sure if we called it the "English", "Welsh", "French"... server,
>    none of those nations would feel hurt in any way. Why should the
>    Apache feel any different ?. Suggesting they might feel differently
>    is probably a bigger insult to them than using the name.
>
> Because unlike the English and French, the Apache were violently
> persecuted, nearly to extinction, by foreign conquerors.  (The Welsh
> were persecuted as well.)

...and the Welsh wouldn't be offended if a httpd server were
named after them.

Apache, pronounced "something-else".

rob