Re: distinguishing browser types

From: <wmperry@spry.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 95 10:37 PDT
To: nazgul@utopia.com
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www10.w3.org>
Kee Hinckley writes:
[...]
> Which leads me to another question. Are there any browsers out there that
> actually set the Accept fields based on the helper applications?  I know
> Netscape doesn't. It makes it rather difficult to determine what formats
> can be sent to a browser.

  Emacs-w3, AIR Mosaic, OmniWeb, and a few others (haven't checked out
  EMosaic for a while, sorry).

  The main problem is not that they set the accept headers wrong (I don't
  think netscape does - are you sure its broken?), but that they do not
  specify the maxsize, maxtime or quality attributes on the frigging
  things.  Which can completely hose things when you then send a */* at the
  end, which netscape and mosaic/X both do.

  -Bill Perry