Re: Session tracking

From: Gary Adams - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS <Gary.Adams@east.sun.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 09:12:15 -0400
To: www-talk@www10.w3.org
I'm intrigued my the idea of the session-id cookie as a potential means of
accounting for state external to the content of the documents being passed
back and forth over the wire. If the server is the agent responsible for the
initial insertion of the cookie into the dialog, then the id carries with it
the notion of a centralized state mechanism. If the client is the initial
agent for inserting the cookie into the dialog, then a distributed state
mechanism is possible where the client is directing potentially many servers
to maintain information on behalf of a particular client. i.e.  a session id
could be used to represent a user, a group of users, a particular user
session, a particular window of a particular session, etc.