Re: Hot Java is here! And it *rocks*

From: Sarr Blumson <sarr@citi.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 1995 11:27:49 -0400
To: David.Halls@cl.cam.ac.uk
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www10.w3.org>

In message <9504041403.AA10766@ouse.cl.cam.ac.uk>you write:

>Okay. So requirements are:
>
>1. A Safe environment (account). cf. Safe Tcl/Scheme/Python/HotJava etc.
>2. Trust that the code is genuine. cf. public-key cryptography.
>
>Now, can anyone explain why they would NEVER download applets or binaries/
>bytecodes given these requirements? All I'm trying to say is that a Safe Node
>system for getting and executing software is safer (yes, safer) than
>current practice, so rabid instance on complete security seems a bit OTT,
>though of course completely justified in its own right.

We may be in agreement here; let me test it by saying that my original
point was that requirement 1 cannot be met by a binary distribution, at
least in the somewhat coarse security environment provided by current
hardware/operating systems.  I agree that an environment that does meet
these two requirements is safer than much current practice, and
probably even adequate for most purposes.

--------
Sarr Blumson                     sarr@umich.edu
voice: +1 313 764 0253           FAX: +1 313 763 4434
CITI, University of Michigan     http://www.citi.umich.edu:80/users/sarr
/
519 W William, Ann Arbor, MI 48103-4943