Re: CGI PATH_TRANSLATED variable?

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 14:07:36 -0500
To: TROTH@ua1vm.ua.edu
Cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org
>        I would expect
>
>                PATH_TRANSLATED=/server/root/hbtin/imagemap
>                PATH_INFO=mapname
>                QUERY_STRING=x,y

My understanding of the CGI documents is that the x,y
are sent via stdin, and that only keyword searches
go into query string.

In DynaWeb, I make X and Y available in the environment
as well as sending them via stdi (because DynaWeb needs
to parse such data irrespective, so the overhead is
minimal).

I personally think CGI is a hack. The above is simple,
but what happens when we have forms data, message content,
and a search request. Better, let's say they use
3 different character sets, and encodings....

Then there's the nph- business, and the requirments
of feeding URL's back to the server. Blech.