Re: Client-side highlighting; tag proposal

From: Dave Hollander <dmh@hpsgml.fc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:29:48 -0700
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www10.w3.org>

Wayne says:

> I agree with Nick that clients should be able to highlight search
> results, but I suggest a simpler approach - when a server sends a
> response to a search (and only the server *really* knows when this
> is), it should send a keyword attribute in the HTML header, containing
> the terms it thinks are relevant to the results (which may not be all
> the terms specified.)

While the html header would be ok, this restricts the usage to the server.
Placing this info in the URL as proposed earlier would allow non-server
applications and HTML documents to trigger highlighting. For example,
if I wanted to point to "HTML header" in my archive of this I could
use --http://me.hp.com/www-talk/doc8#HTML header-- or some similar
syntax.

> Then the browser can (or not) implement a simple
> way to find and highlight the terms.  Most (all?) browsers can already
> search on text, so this is a very simple extension for them. It
> relieves the server of having to muck with the actual HTML text it
> sends, and uses existing mechanisms.

This proposal still leaves the burden on the client vendors. What do
they think?

Regards,
Dave Hollander

 Dave Hollander                          Hewlett-Packard
 Internet Technology Program Manager     3404 East Harmony Road, MS. 6U10
 Electronic Sales Promotion         	 Fort Collins, Colorado  80525
 dmh@corp.hp.com         		 303-229-3192
 Access HP - http://www.hp.com