Re: Naming Clash: The W3C Web 3.0 Stack and "Web3"

Melvin,

I am no particular fan of Web3 (to put it mildly), but I don't really
agree with this.

Web3 as a term covers a huge space, and I agree that the
cryptocurrency and NFT stuff don't really have much to do with the
Web. However, there's another strand of work around decentralized data
storage, computation, etc. (the stuff that's often called
"decentralized Web") that actually has a fair bit in common with what
the Web provides. I'm skeptical of the technical feasibility [0]--and
in some cases the desirability--of this work, but if it were in fact
successful, I don't think it would necessarily be accurate to say it's
not the Web.

The substance of the situation aside, I think it would mostly make the
TAG look silly to come down and say "Web3 is not the Web", especially
if it's done in service of defending Semantic Web. Depending on their
overlap with the work of W3C, it might or might not be appropriate for
the TAG to make technical critiques of these technologies, but I
it's the TAG's place, or particularly helpful, to burn energy
trying to defend the brand name "Web".

-Ekr

[0] https://educatedguesswork.org/posts/challenges-web-decentralization/