Re: Reviewing the Solid protocol

Martin J. Dürst writes:

> This may be only marginally related, but at the IETF, there's a new
> mailing list on "More Instant Messaging Interoperability" (see
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/Mimi and
> https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-mahy-mimi-problem-outline-00.html,
> https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-mahy-mimi-content-00.html,
> https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-mahy-mimi-identity-00.html).
> Also related is the SPIN draft
> (https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-rosenberg-dispatch-spin-00.txt),

I had a quick look at the SOLID Protocol draft [1], with an eye to
whether or not it should eventually be submitted to the IETF to go
through review aiming at being published as an RFC.

On the technical side, I don't _think_ it's necessary to do that.
Although by now somewhat dated, RFC 3205 [2], _On the use of HTTP as a
Substrate_, would IMO still be worth taking into consideration.  There
are suggestions therein for issues that any protocol layered on top of
HTTP should address, for example whether or not to use port 80 (or by
extension, nowadays, port 443), which the current SOLID Protocol draft
might benefit from.

As is Martin, I'm a regular reviewer for the Applications and
Real-Time Area, and would be happy to consult on the best way to take
this to the IETF should the SOLID CG decide to do so.

There are also questions of good manners/politics, about which I am
not in a position to comment authoritatively, but it might be a good
idea for one of the W3C's liaison people [3] to reach out to their
opposite numbers at some point...

ht

[1] https://solidproject.org/TR/protocol
[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3205
[3] https://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison#IETF
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.