Re: Principles of Identity in Web Architecture

On 6/14/21 4:35 AM, Philip Sheldrake wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up Daniel (hi Amy
> <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-principles/issues/324>!) ... and I'm
> looking forward to reading your summary of this thread Melvin :-)
>
> And thank you for your reply Patrick. If I may say so, and with no
> disrespect intended whatsoever, your taking "identity" solely in the
> context of "legal identity" exemplifies the challenge I describe
> perfectly. I believe many here will understand where I'm coming from
> all the more for your contribution.
>
> Speaking only from personal experience, too many working in 'digital
> identity' (but far from all — hello again Amy!) have little idea that
> other conceptualizations of identity exist, let alone that they
> overlap and exist in a multidisciplinary attempt to better understand
> our world, our communities, and ourselves. Too few technologists then
> appreciate the corresponding ramifications of their code in this
> context, or even understand the imperative for such appreciation in
> the first place.
>
> Information technologists can ignore psychologists, sociologists,
> ecologists, anthropologists, experts in cultural studies, historians,
> theologians etc. and look only to their society-coding cousins — the
> law profession — for design inspiration. They can ignore the fact that
> their code is potentially far more insidious than the code of their
> lawyerly colleagues. But they can only do so by also ignoring the
> ethical requirements laid out by their respective professional bodies.
>
> Kind regards.

Hi Philip,

There is only one of "You" in existence, as far as we currently
understand the world.

There are many identifiers associated with "You" that originate from a
variety of sources, many of which you have no control (or partial
control) over.

Those identifiers that you control can be the basis for accurate
"sameAs" assertions by you about yourself, and fuzzy assertions by
others i.e., third parties.

Personally, the distinctions above have become unnecessarily fuzzy due
to the power dynamics associated identity.

Conclusion:

IMHO, Identity isn't confusing. It's the dynamics created by power
structures and business models that create and exploit confusion :)

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO