Re: Principles of Identity in Web Architecture

Thanks for the heads up Daniel (hi Amy
<https://github.com/w3ctag/design-principles/issues/324>!) ... and I'm
looking forward to reading your summary of this thread Melvin :-)

And thank you for your reply Patrick. If I may say so, and with no
disrespect intended whatsoever, your taking "identity" solely in the
context of "legal identity" exemplifies the challenge I describe perfectly.
I believe many here will understand where I'm coming from all the more for
your contribution.

Speaking only from personal experience, too many working in 'digital
identity' (but far from all — hello again Amy!) have little idea that other
conceptualizations of identity exist, let alone that they overlap and exist
in a multidisciplinary attempt to better understand our world, our
communities, and ourselves. Too few technologists then appreciate the
corresponding ramifications of their code in this context, or even
understand the imperative for such appreciation in the first place.

Information technologists can ignore psychologists, sociologists,
ecologists, anthropologists, experts in cultural studies, historians,
theologians etc. and look only to their society-coding cousins — the law
profession — for design inspiration. They can ignore the fact that their
code is potentially far more insidious than the code of their lawyerly
colleagues. But they can only do so by also ignoring the ethical
requirements laid out by their respective professional bodies.

Kind regards.