Re: Principles of Identity in Web Architecture

On 6/8/21 1:06 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 at 21:28, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 6/7/21 3:20 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Melvin,
>>
>>     Nice breakdown.
>>
>>     Here's a little tweak, for additional clarity.
>>

>>     1. Separate identifiers from identity -- Yes
>>
>>     2. Identifiers are a string of characters used to create a global
>>     unique
>>     keys around which identity is constructed
>>
>>     3. Your identity is a collection of attributes that coalesce around
>>     unique keys
>>
>>     4. Your identity is protocol, medium and transport agnostic -- Yes
>>
>>     5. Separate data and protocol meta data from identity data -- Yes
>>
>>     Fundamentally, the following need to be loosely-coupled at all times:
>>
>>     1. Identity -- various identifier schemes
>>
>>     2. Identification -- various document types
>>
>>     3. Authentication -- various protocols
>>
>>     4. Authorization -- various protocols
>>
>>     5. Storage -- various protocols
>>

>     Version 2.0, with key typo fixes and some fleshing out of bullet
>     list items:
>

>     1. Separate identifiers from identity -- Yes
>
>     2. Identifiers are a string of characters used to create *globally
>     unique**
>     **keys* around which identity is constructed
>

> Thanks Kingsley!  So when I added the primary key, I was thinking of
> RDBMs which work quite on a per table basis.  I guess you're an expert
> on that.  What's the logic around globally unique vs primary key.

A Super Key is the term generally used to refer to a Globally Unique
Identifier in DBMS parlance. Basically, its a platform independent
identifier from which a collection of attributes can be retrieved by way
of resolution (or de-reference).

In Web parlance, we have an IRI offering equivalent functionality, which
may be pegged to a resolver (explicitly or implicitly).

> I think what I want to emphasis is joins, linking, and
> interoperability.  Appreciate the update in text tho!

Interoperability and integration are the key benefits we generally seek
from identifiers, with scope varying i.e., across a DBMS genres,
instances, host operating environments etc..

>     3. Your identity is a collection of attributes that coalesce around
>     unique keys
>

> I wanted to emphasize the EAV model here, and links.  So I thought
> that's your preferred mental model?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity%E2%80%93attribute%E2%80%93value_model
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity%E2%80%93attribute%E2%80%93value_model>

EAV formalized via RDF (which adds express requirement for IRIs as
Identifiers)  is my preferred mental model :)

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO