Re: Principles of Identity in Web Architecture

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 at 21:28, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 6/7/21 3:20 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
> Hi Melvin,
>
> Nice breakdown.
>
> Here's a little tweak, for additional clarity.
>

> 1. Separate identifiers from identity -- Yes
>
> 2. Identifiers are a string of characters used to create a global unique
> keys around which identity is constructed
>
> 3. Your identity is a collection of attributes that coalesce around
> unique keys
>
> 4. Your identity is protocol, medium and transport agnostic -- Yes
>
> 5. Separate data and protocol meta data from identity data -- Yes
>
> Fundamentally, the following need to be loosely-coupled at all times:
>
> 1. Identity -- various identifier schemes
>
> 2. Identification -- various document types
>
> 3. Authentication -- various protocols
>
> 4. Authorization -- various protocols
>
> 5. Storage -- various protocols
>

> Version 2.0, with key typo fixes and some fleshing out of bullet list
> items:
>

> 1. Separate identifiers from identity -- Yes
>
> 2. Identifiers are a string of characters used to create *globally unique*
> * keys* around which identity is constructed

Thanks Kingsley!  So when I added the primary key, I was thinking of RDBMs
which work quite on a per table basis.  I guess you're an expert on that.
What's the logic around globally unique vs primary key.  I think what I
want to emphasis is joins, linking, and interoperability.  Appreciate the
update in text tho!

> 3. Your identity is a collection of attributes that coalesce around
> unique keys

I wanted to emphasize the EAV model here, and links.  So I thought that's
your preferred mental model?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity%E2%80%93attribute%E2%80%93value_model

> 4. Your identity is protocol, medium and transport agnostic -- Yes
>
> 5. Separate data and protocol meta data from identity data -- Yes
>
> Fundamentally, the following need to be loosely-coupled at all times:
>
> 1. Identity -- using various identifier schemes
>
> 2. Identification -- various document types pegged to identity (i.e.,
> credentials)
>
> 3. Authentication -- various protocols for authenticating credentials
>
> 4. Authorization -- various protocols informed by authenticated credentials
>
> 5. Storage -- various protocols, post authorization

Agree with that further separation, but perhaps that could be in a separate
architectural explainer, because identity is difficult enough on its own.
Especially to obtain systems across different protocols that can work
together