Re: Right to Link vs proposed Australian “link fee” legislation

Having the ability to publish a license, or even to have rights published won't solve the problem alone. There have been many attempts at that... W3C has had groups dedicated to rights managment.

I mentioned the music industry as an example because that is an industry where rights are very well defined, and mechanisms for registering and even collecting royalties exist and are mandated by regulation, and have been for many years. Even so, access to most  music is controlled by a few parties that are better able to monetize the content than the producers (in the old days it was the records, now it's streaming). They enjoy that advantage because they make it easier for people to discover and consume music: they have a better product and reap the benefits.

Without an alternative means for discoverability, this is natural, and it's inevitable that content producers (or at least some content producers) will feel powerless to promote or monetize their own content. On the flip side, there are content producers that do better because of increased discoverability through platforms, so it's not all bad. What is bad is the lack of competition in content discoverability. There are legal, and political issues in addressing that, as well as technical issues.