Re: Right to Link vs proposed Australian “link fee” legislation

Hi Tim and company -- Thanks for getting us all together on this thread!

I had not been following this so poked around the various government
proposals and just a few of the numerous comments from trade groups,
companies and others that have piled up here. It's clearly been hotly
debated by those involved. A couple of observations:

   1. The proposed draft legislation
   <https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Exposure%20Draft%20Bill%20-%20TREASURY%20LAWS%20AMENDENT%20%28NEWS%20MEDIA%20AND%20DIGITAL%20PLATFORMS%20MANDATORY%20BARGAINING%20CODE%29%20BILL%202020.pdf>
   seems to spend a lot of time the rules are all framed in terms of
   competition and market power, and specifically **avoid** copyright
   questions. They set up a pretty complex bargaining and compulsory
   arbitration process that would for new sources and digital platforms to
   agree on both the price for 'making available' (ie linking to) content AND
   the ranking/personalization algorithms that platforms use to present news
   content on digital platforms. For Internet policy history buffs, the
   Internet censorship provisions struck down by the US Supreme Court in 1997
   had the same 'making available' language. It was found to be particularly
   hostile to online free expression because web sites have no way of
   controlling who follows a link. Holding the site responsible for 'making
   available' a link was seen by the US Supreme Court as forcing a site to
   limit its speech in constitutionally unacceptable ways.
   2. The rules, whatever they are, appear to apply only to Google and
   Facebook, at least according to several commenters (though I couldn't
   verify that in my quick survey of the extensive proposals. There is
   the possibility of adding new covered companies later. Singling out
   particular companies, especially when none are from Australia, is likely a
   violation of free trade obligations.
   3. this has the politics of SOPA/PIPA: platforms versus content -- the
   Murdock orgs (News Corp, etc) are very involved. Notably, none of the
   digital rights NGOs normally present is such debates in Australia or around
   the world seem to have commented at all. That's a bit surprising to me.

This whole thing looks politically very complex to me. The best way I can
see having any impact is to have groups like EFF, CDT, Access Now, Web
Foundation etc with political depth to get involved. I do think that a
statement from the TAG could be helpful but would have most impact if
coordinated based on knowledge of the current political process.

Best to all

Danny

--
Daniel J. Weitzner, 3Com Founders Principal Research Scientist
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
32 Vassar St, Cambridge MA USA
@djweitzner