Re: Summary of TAG resolutions on Director-Free Process proposals

From: Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 19:36:49 -0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
Cc: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>

On 9/16/2019 5:33 AM, fantasai wrote:

> The TAG was pretty clear that it wanted to limit the power of the Team
> within the Council, and that it wanted the Council to be able to
> choose a neutral chair per issue when possible.

I agree that we should limit the power of the Team within the Council.
In the AB proposal, the Team has 4% of the voting rights on the
Council.  I find it odd that the TAG wants to limit the power of the
Team further.

I understand the desire of choosing a neutral chair per issue.  A
possible compromise would be for the CEO to chair the "overall Council";
that is the central administrative processing of formal objections.
That includes receiving the objection; determining whether the Team can
resolve the objection [1]; convening a task force for the objection if
needed (i.e. the Council for the issue); managing workflow; ensuring
that the objections are handled efficiently; and ensuring that responses
are handled appropriately.

But, each individual task force can choose its own chair for that
particular objection.

Jeff

[1]
https://www.w3.org/2019/06/W3C%20Council%20guidelines%20for%20formal-objections.html