RE: Summary of TAG resolutions on Director-Free Process proposals

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 13:04:25 -0700
To: "'Jeff Jaffe'" <jeff@w3.org>, "'Chris Wilson'" <cwilso@google.com>
Cc: "'fantasai'" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "'W3C TAG'" <www-tag@w3.org>, "'David Singer'" <singer@apple.com>, "'Florian Rivoal'" <florian@rivoal.net>
Ignoring the “offense”/ “not I” part of the discussion

The main disagreement comes Jeff’s use of “% of membership” in

        “- individuals from browsers are overrepresented (measured by % of membership) on the (TAG/AB/Nomcom/Oxx)”

And the assumptions that it implies, that percent of members who have big browser-maker groups as a measure of anything, or that the goals of the groups taken as a whole were substantially different to warrant calling the current amount “overrepresented” and implicitly unfair. For the most part, I think that’s worth questioning.

The issue is the implication for the “architecture” of the web allowing for high-performance simple but powerful implementations; not something you could evaluate feature by feature or working group-by-working group.

There  is some questions about that a while back in the thread

https://twitter.com/wycats/status/1139681962308694016

and a thread starting with Original Tweet: https://twitter.com/mdubinko/status/1077654386766008320

@mdubinko: Hot take: the insanely complicated HTML5 spec that WHATWG demanded, leads to the inevitable consequence of making all but a few implementations unviable. Hence Edge -> Blink. Hotter take: the XHTML modularization folks had it basically right, considering the long term.

See follow-up by our director

https://twitter.com/timberners_lee/status/1106880655844143105