Re: Invitation - Web Payments Working Group Face to Face - (23 - 24 February, San Francisco)

On 26 January 2016 at 22:43, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dan, Peter,
>
> The Web Payments WG is meeting in San Francisco on 23 and 24 February for
> our first face to face.
>
> The group is chartered to develop, among other things, a JavaScript API
> for the registration of "payment apps" and the request to initiate a
> payment. Our FPWD is due in March.
>
> There is a significant amount of work that has been done to date (which I
> will summarize for the TAG in an invitation to comment later this week),
> however the chairs expect that there will be a number of issues the group
> will need to deal with at the face to face that would benefit from the
> TAG's input.
>
> Specifically, we expect to deal with issues relating to good API design
> and learning from previous API design efforts, catering to an appropriate
> audience (web developers), considering the latest patterns employed in
> JavaScript development and API design etc. (A quick review of the issue
> list [1] will give you some clues).

Thanks for sharing this summary.  Having briefly browsed the issues linked,
for "clues" as to what type of input is sought, there seems to be some
slight contention between reusing the W3C Recommendations around JSON,
namely JSON LD, vs perhaps some newly created syntax and API.

At an architectural level the web and payments go quite well together in
terms of ability to scale massively, extensibility and unexpected reuse.
This contrasts with, for example, payment efforts in the crypto currency
community which largely have major problems scaling.

IMHO reusing W3C recommendations here, such as JSON LD, which from reading
the comments seems to now have respectable adoption from its inception in
2014 (millions of sites -- PS well done!).  And given this REC has
significant work already fleshed out for the payments use cases, seems to
me be architecturally beneficial.

I hope this can be clarified further at the F2F, good luck! :)