Re: Canonical content and AMP

I didn’t think much about AMP until I read this Search Engine Watch article
<https://searchenginewatch.com/2016/02/22/what-will-googles-accelerated-mobile-pages-amp-mean-for-marketers/>
in February. This is the phrase that caused a pang: “Simply put,
Accelerated Mobile Pages is a stripped-down version of the mobile web which
runs on a reinvented version of the language used to create web pages:
HTML.”

The article describes AMP as “Google’s answer to Facebook’s Instant
Articles and Apple News.”

I can only agree with Andrew… technologies like AMP promote duplication of
content in multiple formats in different locations on the web, and that’s a
bad thing. Especially in those situations (all of the above) where the
architectural sleight of hand helps continue to centralize the action.

And I can’t see there’s much we can do about it. Directly that is. It’s a
classic case of what the hi:project team has come to call
short-term-gain-long-term-pain. And just look at all those publishing
companies signing up for that short-term-gain – market and technological
forces leave them no option imho.