Re: Foreign-fecth: Was: Proposal: Uniting the Web and "App" worlds

On 2015-09-16 20:55, Marijn Kruisselbrink wrote:

 > what you're asking for is not really the client side API for this,
 > but some standardized (hopefully cross browser) way to implement
 > the native side of this. Maybe some standardized way a native application
 > could register itself with a webbrowser to handle certain actions from websites?
 > I know various people have been thinking about this problem space, although I'm
 > not quite sure what the current status of that is. And there have of course been
 > various attempts in the past. Actually standardizing something of how a browser
 > interacts with the native operating system is of course complicated.

 > I'm not quite convinced yet that it is something that makes sense to do,
 > although it certainly seems like an area worth exploring.

You don't have to go particularly far to find a "customer" :-)
https://www.android.com/pay/

A Wallet that doesn't work on the Web is simply put "lame", isn't it?

AFAIK our friends in Cupertino have a similar problem...

When it comes to technical solutions I would be a bit cautious about overloading
APIs like foreign-fetch because the requirements seem pretty different for invoking
and communicating with local applications, and for accessing remote Web resources.

The idea is not creating a "workaround" like Chrome's Native Messaging, but making
[specially crafted] native "Apps" first class citizens on the Web.

Cheers,
Anders R
https://github.com/cyberphone/web2native-bridge#wallet-application